CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Escape Artist

This morning Lucy woke up at 7:30, which today was a little early for me (I'm still tired from staying up till after 4 two nights ago). So I went in and laid her back down with a pacifier, blanket and bunny. This usually keeps her happy for an hour to an hour and a half whether she goes back to sleep or just reads in her crib. She's such a happy little girl, I feel rather lucky it works more often than not. Around 8 I heard her whining so I got up to start our day. I walked down the hall and opened Lucy's door and was shocked to say the very least. I hit Lucy with the door. That's right, I hit my child, not softly mind you, with her bedroom door. Somehow that little girl of mine got out of her crib and was at the door waiting for me to come get her. WHAT? There isn't even any furniture close enough to her crib for her to climb on. Are her muscles really that strong? I have heard of lots of mom's saying their kids escape, but I never thought it would happen with me, at least not with Lucy.
So there you have it, I have an escape artist on my hands and have no clue where to go from here. I am SO not ready to have her in a big girls bed. I like having her contained in her crib. But now that she can possibly get out (it may have been a fluke), she could really get hurt in the process.
If you want to know my deepest feelings on the subject, I am not ready for her to grow up. I tried the potty training thing and she's ready, but I'm not. I read somewhere that it is a child's first step to really growing up. And then to have to put her in a real bed, what does she think she is doing to me? She is only 22 months old, that is not a big girl yet, it is still a baby in my book. How do I get this through her head? Sigh...

5 comments:

lisset said...

at around 18 months, ethan started climbing out of the crib. my sister-in-law advised buying a net for the top of the crib intended to keep kids in that she absolutely swears by. i just kept putting him right back in to bed for a few nights and he stopped. he figured out that just because he got out didn't mean it was play time. oh the joys of growing older!
as for the potty training- be careful that you don't miss that all important window to get her started so you don't end up with a harder and loner process in the future. i know it is hard to see these little ones grow up!

KaSs MiLeS said...

i really can't believe she's almost 2!!! how did that happen? As far as escaping, this same thing sort of happened to me and i was floored also. Jerome and i put story in her swing to keep her entertained for a while and we can't close the little tray, because her legs are too chubby. we came back to check on her like 15 minutes later and she was on the floor playing!!! no idea how it happened or what happened!

Loraleigh said...

Lukas has been in a toddler bed for few months now and it's working out a lot better for us than his crib was. I swear that he thinks he's one of the grown-ups though, just like I did when I was a kid.
I would be more curious than anything how she did it. You should set up a video camera...

Bree said...

Axton started climbing out around 16 months. All of a sudden we'd hear a loud thump followed by screaming (he always landed on his stomach or back, he's definitely not a cat). We too would just put him back in and figured it was a fluke till he was doing it every night. He stopped when he climbed out the wrong side and got stuck between the wall and his crib (we'de pulled it out so he'd stop messing with the plugs!). he hasn't tried since and it is heavenly, otherwise I too would resort to the net if you aren't ready for the big bed.

Lacey said...

Cade started crawling out of his bed around the same time. We thought it was kind of funny at first and spent a few nights putting him back in bed several times and it soon became NOT funny. We thought that he would get over it and just stay in his bed. I had a friend suggest the net over the bed but I felt bad and it was expensive so I opted not to. However, I wish that I would have. When he couldnt get out of bed he was an excellent sleeper because he would go back to sleep if he woke up in the middle of the night. However, once he realized he could get out we would have a little visitor several times in the night. He started to get in the habit of just coming straight to our room and now he is not as good of a sleeper as he once was. So, I kind of would suggest the net, if only for a couple of nights just so she knows that getting put back in bed is not a game. Good luck, it is really no fair that they grow up... and it only gets faster!3