CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Grandpa M. Keith Hansen

So two nights ago, November 3rd, I got a call from my parents at 10:00 letting me know that my Grandpa died. WHAT? We had a family dinner on Sunday and he wasn't there because he was vacationing in Hawaii. How could he possible be dead. We aren't sure what happened yet, but he was scuba diving with his wife Becky's son-in-law in Hawaii when something obviously went wrong.

You have to understand that my Grandpa was in great shape. He is the Stake Patriarch, they were planning on going on a mission pretty soon here and he was healthy enough to be scuba diving. He was only 76.
My Grandpa was such a wonderful man. I thought for sure he would live into at least his late 90's. How am I supposed to deal with a death that comes out of the blue? When both my grandma's died, we knew it was coming. We prepared ourselves, said our 'I love yous' and 'goodbye's.' But I didn't get to say goodbye to Grandpa Hansen. I left a message on his home phone Sunday, he is never going to hear it. It is so hard to think Lucy isn't going to grow up with 3 of my 4 grandparents. They were there my whole life, to support me and be my role models.
I don't think I quite get what happened, it hasn't hit me totally yet. But I do know I am sick, it is my birthday and I want my Grandpa. I am such a baby but it seems that sometimes life hits you hard and it can be a bit much to deal with.

I love you Grandpa and I will miss you more than you know! Thank you for being so wonderful and please say hello to Grandma for me!

13 comments:

~Emily~ said...

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandfather. He was my husbands mission president and was loved by all the missionaries. That is how we actually learned of his passing and as I was looking for more information on it I came across your blog. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. What a wonderful wonderful man.

KaSs MiLeS said...

sorry kelsey. dwell on the fun moments you had together.

Lacey said...

Oh Kels, I am so sorry. I am sorry for your loss. I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry for your sadness. I wish that I could make it even a little bit better. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong girl, with an incredible family. Lots of love and hopefully happy birthday wishes. Love you, my dear friend.

Ryan said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your Grandpa was my mission President. I've talked to several missionaries and we are all shocked by this news. He was a great man. I'm sure he is thrilled to see Carol again.

alpine alert-pali eternal said...

Kels, I am so sorry. You are in my prayers.

Beth Curtis said...

Oh Kels, I am so sorry to hear this. I was in shock when I found out. He was such a great man and it just seems way too soon. My heart goes out to you and your family. p.s. happy birthday!

Cherine said...

I am really sorry for your loss. Sometimes I wish the Lord gave us his game plan before things happen. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori said...

I am also one of President Hansen's missionaries. Thanks for letting us know. He is such a wonderful man. Our prayers are with your family.

Mel said...

Oh, Kelsey - I am so sorry to hear about this! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you or your family.

Unknown said...

hey Kelsey, I am so sorry. I know totally how you feel as my grandma was killed in a freak accident last year. I hope that you are doing well. The shock will eventually wear off. I am just so glad for the plan of salvation. It really is what binds us as families together. If you need anyone to talk to let me know. take care and send my condolences to your family as well.

Esther said...

I'm so sorry your grandfather died. I was also one of his missionaries in Jacksonville, Florida. He and Sister Hansen were two of the most amazing people I have ever met. I will never forget them. Many missionaries that I know on Facebook are wondering when the funeral will be and where. I don't know if any could afford to come, but they would like to know just in case. Please let us know.

Heather said...

Kelsey,
I am so shocked and sorry to hear about your grandpa's death. I got an email yesterday telling me about it. And when I googled it your blog came up. I was also one of his missionaries. I served on Temple Square, but we are all sent out to another mission for a time and I had the blessing of being sent to his mission for 3 months. I fell in love instantly with your grandma and grandpa. They are two of the most humble, kind, spiritual, faithful, AMAZING people I've ever known. Even though I was only in their mission for a short time, they loved me as their own and taught me so much. I will never ever forget either of them.

I am so sad and still can't believe this happened. I'm so sorry that you didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I pray that you will find peace through the spirit. The rest of your family as well. He will be loved and missed always.

Heather Perrins Larson

Linda said...

I am sorry for your loss--it is hard to lose a grandparent even though we know it is for a short time. President Hansen was my dentist when I was a young woman, and then 30+ years later he became my son's mission president. He was definitely loved by all.